Posted by Michael Anthony Salon
Do-it-yourself (DIY) has been all the rage for the past few years, and when it comes to hair coloring, there is no exception. There are many online comparisons of DIY hair-coloring vs. in-salon professional services, and it seems that the main argument in favor of DIY is the financial savings. While, yes, you may save some money, there are more things to consider when deciding how to color your hair.
Should You DIY Hair Color?
Non-Salon color brands are skillfully marketed. Their message is that you have the power and knowledge to do what a professional has been trained to do. The message of empowerment plus the ability to save sells. But, if you choose to color your hair at home, beware.
When you go to the local drugstore or grocery, do you really know what you are buying? Here are some things to consider:
– Finding Your Dream on the Package: The girl on the box looks great; in fact, a perfect likeness of what you want. However, you may have forgotten that the image of her hair has been photo-shopped or otherwise enhanced. That picture is designed to make you think you can get the flawless style and color by just using the product. But take note: no guarantees or easy fixes come with the box.
– Take a Close Look at the Box:
- First, what information is available about the ingredients? More than likely, the ingredients contain toxic chemicals that are unsuited for hair and could prove to be disastrous to your hair’s health.
- Second, does it tell you everything you need to know about the process and the result? How do you know it will work? There is a reason why a colorist attends a school/academy to specifically study the art of hair, color, application, etc.
- Third, just as “one-size doesn’t fit all” – one color does not look good on all. Professionals take the time to evaluate your hair texture, skin tone, and your personal preference when mixing a color unique to you.
– Finding the Real Thing in the Salon: Unless you are a trained, licensed cosmetologist, you bring a disadvantage to shopping for a hair color product. For starters, the average person does not know their natural hair color. Sure, you may think you’re a blonde or brunette, but the truth is that hair color is much more complex than that. It’s not easy to know which DIY color will give you the effect you are seeking.
It’s chemistry, remember? The age of the product, it’s ammonia content, and the specific preservatives used will each alter your hair differently. Box color products can be inexpensive because they use cheaper ingredients developed with less research. Salon color services are safer because stylists know and use proper application techniques with high-quality products. And if something doesn’t come out quite as intended, a top-quality salon like Michael Anthony Salon will work with you to make it right. Stylists also have the expertise to apply highlights and ombres with the right blending of colors and tones.
DIY Hair Color Is Not Worth It
In my years behind the chair, I have come to the rescue of many DIY color disasters. One is fixing the “musical instrument” effect when, instead of a natural sexy blonde, you end up with a brassy “trumpet blonde.” Another recent example is the young lady who attempted a home ombre and came to use with hair that looked like a calico cat. Here at Michael Anthony Salon, we want you to look great. Unfortunately, we see how often the result of DIY hair coloring is spending, even more, money at the salon to fix the at-home job. Don’t make that mistake, please! Relax, get a relaxing head massage and beautiful blowout while you’re at it, and let the professionals take care of you.
Enjoy your hair,
Michael Anthony Salon DC is considered by many to be the best in the entire DC metro region. We are passionate about doing hair and work with each and every client to create the look that is right for them. Led by Mickey – aka Michael Anthony – each of our stylists is a highly trained professional. Schedule an appointment and find out for yourself!