Posted by Mickey B.
When new clients come into the Michael Anthony Salon for that very first appointment we often hear a lament and a plea having to do with finding the perfect hairstyle for a certain face shape. The good news is we know what to do to help!
Here are a few things that you may not know…
- There are a whole variety of face shapes that roughly correspond to the shapes you learned about in geometry – or the toy box – oval, square, rectangle, round, triangle, and heart.
- While the “perfect” face shape is oval, not everyone is naturally graced with that.
- An “oval effect” can be achieved on almost any face shape with the right haircut, color treatment, and style.
Here are some examples:
- The fullness of a “round” face can be narrowed by a longer, sleeker do that emphasizes length over width.
- The length of an oblong or rectangular face can be filled out with soft curls or by adding volume or extensions to a hairstyle. Sometimes short cuts, like the Power Pixie, work really well on narrow faces.
- The Oval Effect can be achieved on a triangular face–that is, one with a wide forehead and narrow chin – with a professional cut and style that adds fullness at or just below the chin line.
- Color treatments – the skilled application of lights, darks, and highlights–can also help to achieve a look and feel of depth, volume, and dimension.
If your hair doesn’t naturally behave, or have the texture or volume necessary to simply cut it into the perfect shape for your face, there are great ways to overcome those limitations. Ask your stylist for more info on hair extensions, color treatments, and special products and treatments for straightening, curling, repairing, and volumizing your hair.
Enjoy your hair!